Sprint or Span the Distance?

“It is written: Man must not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:4 (HCSB)
     In January, I found myself needing to kick my recent efforts (to get healthier) up a notch. I visited my doctor and when I asked her “What’s up?” she said, “Your cholesterol!” Okay, not really, but I did learn that I need to bring my cholesterol down. I had already been focusing on my health some for my own reasons, but this moment was a catalyst for me to begin thinking more about being healthy… long-term. Long-term is the hard part. Long means…well long. I can go on an occasional 3 month health-sprint, but a health-marathon, that’s a whole other thing!
     As I started learning about many changes I needed to make,  a little voice in my head said, “you can’t make this kind of lasting change.” But just after, I felt the Holy Spirit whisper into my heart, “you can’t, but I can.” Suddenly, I realized why I had only been a health-sprinter! I could sprint in my own strength, but completing a marathon would require me to rely on God’s strength. During this time, the verse above jumped off the page for me. Life and health are not just about the foods I eat or avoid. What gives me life and sustains me are the very words of God. I am amazed at how many verses in God’s Word speak to specific struggles and temptations I deal with today. What obstacle derails you from experiencing God’s best in your life? Take courage! You don’t have to do it alone.

“May the God of peace…equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen” Hebrews 13:20-21 (NIV)

A few alphabetical tips to help you stay on pace with your health goals


1. Acknowledge and be realistic about your weaknesses-"consider the cost" Luke 14:28 & ask God for help in prayer-"you have not, because you ask not" James 4:3

2. Believe that God is able to help you-"my God shall supply all your needs" Philippians 4:19

3. Cooperate-"put into practice" what you have learned Philippians 4:9

4. Don't give up-"He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it" Philippians 1:6

6. Equip yourself-"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable...for training in righteousness."  2 Timothy 2:16

7. Find a friend-"two are better than one" Ecclesiastes 4:9-12






Comments

Barbara said…
This is really a great post! Love all the ideas, thoughts, and they way you presented them. I need these reminders about now!!

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed with Joy

Home or Heart Renovation?

Eclipsed by God's Glory